Saturday, April 14, 2012


Jamie here!! As we are all well aware from class the other day, I am a fan of One Direction. So in being how big a fan I am, I was watching some youtube videos of them performing and came across one from when they performed on the Kid’s Choice Awards a couple of weeks ago. Many people were singing along such as Selena Gomez, Taylor Swift and Ashley Tisdale. Even the First Lady Michelle Obama and her two daughters were singing along. This was not a surprise for me mainly because I know how big One Direction is and also because I have seen her rocking out with her kids to the Jonas Brothers (don‘t hate). That’s when I thought back to our lecture on the President and how he identifies as being biracial, half white and half black. It got me thinking, do his kids consider themselves biracial as well considering one of their grandparents is clearly white and they have white aunts, uncles and cousins? Do all children who have one parent that is biracial such as that, consider themselves to be from 2 races, or do they only identify with the majority or with what color their skin was? So while trying to avoid some homework I decided to Google it.

Now I know with the definition of race being about skin color only, there are children such as myself who have parents of different nationalities, but that’s not what I am talking about here. I feel like this may confuse some people (trust me, it made sense in my brain, but that‘s not saying a lot) but I am referring to race as being skin color, which is something that we learned is not true at all. Google only gave results on raising biracial children and what to do with them… Not very helpful so I tried to think of any other examples besides the Obamas, but my brain is frazzled mainly because when I do homework I listen to music and I think of dances and nothing else, a habit which I need to break and I’m off on a tangent. In any case I couldn’t and it made me a little frustrated because am I looking for something that isn’t there or as important as I am making it be? Do any of you have anything to add to it?

2 comments:

  1. This might be a place to start: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypodescent

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, hypodescent and the one drop rule, etc... Remember what Dr. Ellen Quillen presented as well. Aside from all the global diversity in race concepts... and aside from our tendency to equate skin color with race (hence the names of our race categories), how we perceive similarities and differences among people goes far beyond skin color. When you remove skin color, for example, and are left with the anatomy and morphology of a person's face, you're still pretty good at guessing their ancestry. This is work that Dr. Quillen as well as Dr. Jen Wagner and Dr. Mark Shriver (Penn State) have done. I'm sure a scholar.google for their names and some key words like ancestry perception skin color (or pigmentation) will get you to something useful.

    ReplyDelete